Saturday 1 July 2017

Strange.

Has anyone figured this stuff out yet?

There's no excuse for not knowing where you are and why you're there (here). You've had plenty of time. Don't tell me you gave up on trying to get a grip on things?

I don't mean to make you feel bad, but I expected a bit more from you.

We've done a few things since I last posted on here. Texas, Krakow, London…

But let's keep it contemporary-local.

Organic.

A few of us celebrated last week at one of the houses out in the country.

Trewin was central to the organisation of this small shindig, so we ended up with a marquee and DJ booth that, were nature to get you on your shoulders at three o'clock in the morning with eyelids not for lifting, you may well have mistaken for the Pyramid stage at that other thing that goes on every June.

I was ready to celebrate having made some leaps and bounds in recovering from (what doctor's have labelled) an RSI in my hands from which I've been suffering for nearly twelve months. It's made pretty much everything painful, and has well taken its toll on almost every aspect of me. Thanks to a few recent revelations, it looks like it's done with me for now.

So it all went on late with many a thump and a thud and tiny swimming pools popping up here and there as everybody dripped into the leaning hours. No doubt as Cheese hacked pink laughs at me and Trewin hugged away at me in his “ironic” flimsy shirt and leopard print spandex, they both thought, as I did, that it was all uphill from here.

Is that right? “It's all downhill from here” means all things are bound to get worse, but going uphill is apparently an “uphill struggle,” which suggests an uncomfortable quantity of hard work. So that's your choice, then? It's either a bad time, or drudgery?

Either way, the next morning, right when it looked like plain sailing, Trewin packs up some of the mountain of gear we had set up - no doubt in top form following a nice rest and a cup of nothing that could have actually made him feel any better - and proceeds to break his foot by dropping a big weight on it.

Not that Phoria fans are any strangers to W(A)eIghTS, eh?

So, no shock to us, there's another little setback that nobody planned for.

There actually is an interesting little project getting done as a first spurt from the new studio that you can wait for, if you really want to. There's not much else you can do with it for now. It's short.

I'm not on it.

No1 bestseller.

But all we can do is work, and all we can do is say hello, every now and then, and let you in to our little lives and show you what we get up to, sometimes. It ain't always good, it ain't always anything, but it's us.

What is the 21st century but a whole load of fuss about nothing?

And it looks like I've started writing these again, doesn't it? Sure, it's not YouTube, but we can have our fun through the written word if we all pull together, right gang?

I'll need you with me if I'm going to get back up to speed.

Don't leave me here with nothing but a broken footed weirdo for company.


Tim

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I just finished watching a movie called 2:22, and in the movie there was a piece of music which reminded me of Loss by Phoria. Except I much more prefer listening to Loss, the movie piece more or less sounded like a ripoff. I bet Lisa Gerrard has a copy of Volition somewhere.

    Fans know a lot of bands they're fans of so I am not a fan of Phoria. I don't know anything about any of you, I did watch your production tutorial video on SOS magazine a while back but that's it.

    However I do know that I can easily visualize ten thousand people listening to Phoria on a gig.

    It's your call if you don't want to do it, but the music is there. I mean Moderat played for at least 5000 people at Glasto last weekend, you are way better than them.

    Were I the manager of Phoria, I would ask you to switch off the handbrake. If your actual manager is the handbrake, act accordingly.

    You have all the arena-size songs you need. Phoria belongs to the Pyramid Stage, or at least John Peel stage. Your band is not a SXSW showcase introductory group or a Bat for Lashes warm-up act anymore.

    Anyone saying anything else is fucking with you and thus deliberately tries to keep you down because they are jealous of your talent.

    best,
    Jari Peltola
    Finland

    --

    ReplyDelete
  2. I work in corporate America. Today I was just minding my own business when I was smashed in the feels with your music when it shuffled into my spotify mix. I have since listened to all of your material on there, and I can honestly say I have not heard anything quite this beautiful ever. I have a degree in music, so I have heard lots. I have studied lots. Trewin-- your voice is something I want to hold in my hands. I have never wanted to know what inspires someone more than I want to know what inspires you as a group for your music. Please come to St. Louis. I love you all -- Keep going.

    ReplyDelete

Achieve.

All milky and lava-lamp-ish the street-lights reflecting on my big red car bonnet as I curl it round at night all sound and echoing engine...