Friday 24 January 2014

It's all meet, meet, meet.

                Good God, the bags under my eyes are heavy.

                We’ve got two very excitable people in our garden, sorting out the guttering and shouting about how ‘it’s like a fence at the Grand National up there.’ One has just passed through the living room/bedroom/everything room, and told me about how his favourite concert was when he went to see Pink Floyd in 1987. I’m sat cross legged on the bed, in my old lounge pants, wearing a stinky t-shirt, and so absolutely shattered that I’m talking in that low, groggy way that you do. I’ve also just woken up... Basically I appear absolutely wrecked, to the appropriately trained eye, and it’s only 9am.

                If I appear in a state of insobriety now, however, it’s nothing to how I was on Wednesday night – the whole band and a few other tag alongs had a big one to end a big day in old London town, popping between places where people wanted to talk to us about one thing or another. I think I ended up on one of my late night solo monologues – something which everyone I know has to go through with me at some point. When the sun is tucked up and the flow of the evening has trickled into an inlet, I always wonder how rooms empty out so quickly – usually right when I start talking. When the sun comes up, I realise what I’ve done. I walked home along the seafront in the wind and rain as punishment, mumbling ‘nonsense’ to myself. I flay myself publicly here, too. For shame.

                But the meetings were good. Very good, very enjoyable, and we got to see a lot of London. That’s all I can really say for now. I was going to write a bit about how I wasn’t wearing jeans, but instead a slightly lighter, brownish fabric that shows up liquid and splashes of water like nobody’s business. Going for a wee became a matter of very intense precision so as not to make myself look like a cow in the shade or perhaps a monotone Jackson Pollock (take your pick from those two). These things pop into your head when you’re meeting people. I’m not going to mention any of that.

                The men from outside have just gone. I always try and offer people tea, but after recent slips and...not needing any more mugs, we don’t have enough mugs. If I was to just make a drink for them in the one mug we own, I’d end up having to pick a favourite and, as every parent knows, that’s not fun. Essential, but not fun. I could of course have made them one cup to share between them, and then just put two straws in it. Well, they’re gone now. You live, you learn.

                So yes – things look good. Really good, actually. Apart from the crushing sense of shame and despair, I can look forward to the future a little. That’s rather novel. All the boys feel the same, as one or two raised glasses will testify.

                Right.

                They’re gone.

                Time to put the coffee on.

                Have fun,

                Tim

P.S. Come to this one, of course. Just don't invite me to any after parties.



                

No comments:

Post a Comment

Achieve.

All milky and lava-lamp-ish the street-lights reflecting on my big red car bonnet as I curl it round at night all sound and echoing engine...